After you've clicked on that, you will see a list of available classes - the name of the class, the professor, and the type of class (one-term, two-term, or full-year). You have ONE CHANCE to choose classes, so please think about which class you'd like to sign up for and THEN click! You cannot undo the classes you have chosen. You may choose up to five classes at any given time (i.e. you can take max. five full-year courses or fifteen one-term courses spread out throughout the term).
The professor will either confirm or delete your choice. If you drop out of a class during the term, or if the professor has to remove you from his or her list, you will be able to sign up for another class if you wish.
Sign Up Tips
1. Without an HOL Office login with your HOL-ID and password,
you will not be able to sign-up for ANY classes.
2. Most, if not all, classes will be oversubscribed. The professors, and only the professors, decide who will be accepted in their class at their own discretion. Some may go for an even mix of houses, others may want specific years years, or some may only want people with an 'x' in their HOL-Name. If you are accepted in the class you have signed up for, you will find "Class Member" next to it in your student file. If confirmation is pending it will say "unconfirmed"; if you are not accepted it will say "Dropped Out" for too many sign-ups.
3. No one has a RIGHT to be in a particular class. Professors get to pick and choose.
4. We will try to ensure that everyone is accepted in at least one class.
5. Make sure you visit the classroom sites before you sign up for a class. Read their course outlines and make sure the subject matter interests you. Also, some classes have special requirements - it would be bad if you can't participate in a class later because you can't meet the requirements.
6. Some classes are advanced classes, that might be available for second or third years only.
7. Do NOT email or PM the professor, asking to join their class. This will MOST LIKELY result in annoying the professor who will NOT confirm you in his or her class. SPAM emails can be super-irritating for the professors.
8. Sign-up for almost all classes will be open for at least two weeks. It does NOT matter who signs up first; the day of your sign-up is not visible to anyone, and the profs get the sign-ups in alphabetical order.
9. Make sure you have read the pinned topics in the Announcement board and in this Handbook (I like repeating this over and over again, I know *g*)
10. If you have more questions regarding sign-ups not answered in the Handbook, check the Ask A Prefect board. You may post questions there or ask one of your house prefects. Do NOT ask the Headmaster or random professors.
Q: Can you start classes now? Or will I have to wait for the beginning
A: The term starts in September. The second term starts in January, and a third in April. Many classes have lessons and assignments posted already before the start of term, but you are not supposed to submit homework before then. Sure, you can work on them if you are confirmed for the class, but since the class has not even started before these dates, and professors are on deserved vacation, please wait with submitting homework until the term has started.
Q: How do I choose which classes to take?
A: This depends on what you are interested in, and how much time you can/want to invest in HOL classes. All classes have websites and outlines posted before the actual sign-up starts, so read these carefully and pick those you are most interested in.
Q: What type of classes are there?
A: HOL Classes can run over one term, two terms, or the full three terms. Full-term Classes run from September to June and typically have at least 8 monthly lessons and a final exam. You have to pass the final exam to pass a full-term class. One- and two-term classes have fewer monthly lessons but still have their own final exam.
Q: Do we have to get on the Internet on a certain day or time
to attend classes?
A: No! Most classes have lessons and assignments posted, and a time-frame within you have to do your homework, which you will either send by email or post in a class forum. Certain classes have special requirements, though - these will be posted on the class website. Very few classes hold live lessons on IRC, but this will also be posted on the class website.
Q: If I don't sign up for classes before the end of September,
do I get expelled?
A: No - but you can check the HOL Office for any classes in which sign-ups are still open, and sign up for those.